A review of Feiyue Martial Arts shoe when used for Parkour


I found this awesome review of Feiyue on Overflux.com, posted by Tony. I strongly recommend it for those want to try Feiyue out! (Steward)

[See full text version here]

Feiyue

Feiyue started in the 1920's in Shanghai, China. The name is pronounce Fay-Wee. Like a girls name, and then the thing you say when you go down a slide. They have been popular in the martial arts community for years due to their comfort and almost imperceptible weight. Recently Feiyue has started to court the Parkour community, claiming it's lightweight, flexible shoe would be perfect for training. They come in a huge amount of colors variations (each of which has it's own name), though many retailers only carry white or black only. Considering their popularity in martial arts, and their extremely affordable price, I decided to give them a try.

Where I found them
I went searching on Amazon to try and find a competitive price and discovered that they almost exclusively sell for $14.99. With shipping, it cost me 23 bucks. Not too shabby for a pair of shoes.

First impressions
My first impressions as I pulled them out of the box, was that they were 15 dollar shoes. The came in a clear plastic sleeve, and when I opened it up, it stank of that new rubber smell. They basically look like Chuck Taylors designed for running. Thin canvas body, with a thick rubber sole, and a strip of rubber around the whole thing. I put them on, and found they felt somewhat odd on my feet. The sole of the shoes seems to stick out more towards the middle of the foot, so it's almost feels like your feet are wider than the shoe. It's not an uncomfortable feeling, it's just very different from any shoes I've worn. It gives the impression that you're balancing on something. More on that later.

So I've had mine for nearly a month now, and I wear them pretty much daily. I find them very comfortable in that bare foot sort of way. Also, with the thin heels encouraging me to stand on the balls of my feet I find myself always wanting to bounce around. These shoes literally make me want to train more than other shoes. Sounds weird I know, but it's the God's honest truth. The lightness of them, and the way you can feel the ground, it makes you hyper aware of your feet, which just makes me want to run and jump.

[See full text version here]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great supports to Feiyue!As I speak French and study now in France,les amis francais pourraient mieux connaitre Feiyue !

Anonymous said...

La Feiyue est née à Shanghai dans les années 20. Tout au long de son histoire, elle guidera les pas de toutes les classes sociales en Chine du paysan au politicien, du capitaine de l’équipe nationale de football au maître Shaolin.

Elle devient rapidement célèbre pendant les années 30 pour ses qualités originales de robustesse, de flexibilité et de confort qui en font l’outil indispensable des grands maîtres d’arts martiaux chinois. Littéralement, Feiyue veut dire « voler » & « traverser ». L’association de ces deux mots symbolise « l’élévation de l’esprit et du corps ».

Feiyue = Flying forward
Feiyue se prononce « Feî-ué »

C’est en 2005 que Patrice Bastian, « sneakers addict » et globe trotter expatrié à Shanghai, s’associe à Charles Munka, graphiste et ami, pour relancer l’image de la Feiyue shoes. Avec l'aide de Nicolas Seguy, installé en chine depuis 5 ans et Clément Fauth, à Paris, ils forment une équipe idéale pour reprendre la marque en main et ainsi, rendre à la Feiyue ses lettres de noblesse.

Apres un re-looking total tout en gardant le caractère et la base de cette petite basket traditionnelle, un long travail sur les standards de qualité destinés à un marché occidental a été effectué . Ainsi, en février 2006 la première réelle collection Feiyue voit le jour.

Anonymous said...

i luv CHN so i luv feiyue 2, if we'r talkin' abt the same thing, i mean NOT THE FRENCH ONE.

Anonymous said...

the last thing... shall we exchange the links and talk in chinese? - -|||

Anonymous said...

Nice try and the shoes would be sneaker's lover.

Anonymous said...

seems nice try

Anonymous said...

Surely it's very good

costa rica hotels said...

hi guys ... I was very pleased to read the information in this article ... was of great interest and would love to get a lot more information about "A review of Feiyue Martial Arts shoe when used for Parkour"

Grab this Widget ~ Blogger Accessories